cat! pants!

see catpants. see catpants craft. craft, catpants, craft!

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Shouting Across the Divide

With the house pretty much empty except for the pets, I've been spending a lot of time filling it with other people's voices -- mainly those on public radio, especially Ira Glass. If you haven't yet listened to last week's episode of This American Life, you should, especially because you can hear it for free here [episode 322: Shouting Across the Divide]. Be forewarned, however: it will probably make you cry.

I'm so pleased that my dedication to mailing holiday cards to all of my relatives is starting to pay off; this year, I've received at least seven different cards and letters from family, most notably "Uncle Bud"* who not only personally wrote quite a bit in his card, but also included two photographs and a newspaper clipping. This is, for a lack of a better word, totally awesome, especially because I'm not even sure I've ever met Uncle Bud. Hopefully I will someday, so I can tell him personally how great it was to get his card.

I also received a card from two folks from Craftster who are apparently trying to earn the title of Best Craftsters Ever. Millik and fizzledimpulse, if I am ever in your part of the country, I will be bringing you some cookies. Don't forget, I know where you live!

I have so many crafty projects in the works and so many more that I'd love to start on (especially some personal swaps that keep getting delayed) that I'm really ready for Christmas to be over. If you know me, you know how much it pains me to say that! I love this time of year and I love nearly everything about the Christmas season -- except of course the rampant consumerism and the occasional proselytizing -- but I'm feeling ready to move on.

Fortunately, it's almost over, and then I'll be able to post pictures of the ____ I ____ for my sister, which turned out to be my best ____ ____ ever!

Merry Christmas, everybody! Go kiss somebody underneath the mistletoe!

*I put his name in quotes because he's not my uncle; until recently I wasn't even sure how exactly he was related to me. As far as I know, he's my father's mother's brother.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger Ruth said…

    Uncle Bud is the champion peanut butter fudge maker of the family, is the next to the oldest blue eyed relative in Alaska (Grandpa Ray, Uncle Bud and Kevin)and has a voice as soft as his white hair and beard look! He's always been a GREAT Uncle to Kevin & Katie, so you get to call him that too, according to myrelative.com:
    Granduncle or Greatuncle:
    A father's or mother's uncle.

    I'm on the last 15 rounds of Katie's Christmas stocking, it is a knockout compared to mine, so there will be a re-do for me!! I'm with you on winding down the hustle and bustle for this year, but have already made plans to make my Christmas cards in September next year!

     
  • At 6:54 AM, Blogger Shauna said…

    Oh, I'm jealous--I've been Christmas carding for years but hardly any relatives ever write back. I think I need to send mine out extra early so they have the address to reply to! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home